Saturday, August 20, 2011

The Macallan Fine Oak 15 y.o.



The Macallan Fine Oak line is a series of single malts matured in sherry (both Spanish and American oak) and bourbon (American oak) casks. There are eight expressions in the range, from 10 all the way to 30 years old.

The 15 year old, bottled at 86 proof, has a sweet nose of vanilla, honey, and raisins. The palate is buttery and sweet, maybe a bit of dark chocolate, with oak notes coming through after a bit. The finish is fruity with a pleasant tingle. I added several drops of water, which didn't so much open up the whisky as flatten it out.

On a hunch, I finished my drink with a frosted lemon cupcake I happened to have on hand, and the flavors got along just fine. Scotch with dessert? Scotch for dessert? Both sound good to me.

(Coincidentally, the Macallan blog ran a post on their Fine Oak line on Thursday, from which I borrowed the above image. In the post, East Coast USA Brand Ambassador Charlie Whitfield (@MacCharlie) says he particularly likes his Fine Oaks as pre-dinner aperatifs. I haven't tried that yet, and since the 15 y.o. is such a nice way to finish a meal it may be a while before I do.)

1 comment:

  1. buy macallan whisky online

    See More:- https://luxuriouswhiskey.com/

    Whatsapp: +1 707 633 3917
    Email: service@luxuriouswhiskey.com

    ReplyDelete