By which I mean he took an escalator down two or three levels to the bottom floor, with me right behind. There, I saw a line of well dressed middle aged men stretching the length of the atrium, and I figured I was where I was supposed to be.
A short while later, the doors opened and I made my way to the registration table. There, I was handed an Extravaganza guide, a Robb Report (perhaps they thought I was someone else), and a poker chip good for two cigars, and allowed to pick up a tasting glass and head into the Extravaganza.
|It goes with everything.|
This table, I was delighted to realize, was Laphroaig's. It struck me as a comfortable, even homey place to start.
It wasn't till after I had a wee dram of the 10 yo that it occurred to me that Islay is where you should end an evening of Scotch tasting, not start one. On the other hand, with my palate phenolized, I wouldn't feel bad if I weren't able to tease out the dates and the figs in some fine Speysides.
|Start on the left, and work your way across.|
|Objects may be less blurry than they appear.|
|Tasting notes. No mention of figs or dates.|
- Laphroaig 10 yo: Do not start a tasting night w/ Laphroaig 10
- Laphroaig 18 yo: milder than the 10 [yo] peatwise, more like Scotch
- Laphroaig Triple Wood: curious
- Glenkinche 12 yo: very light
- Auchroisk 20: for Dewars; strong; 58% [abv]; pleasant
- Lagavulin 16: a little phenol
- Caol Ila: nothing much
- Bowmore 12: like spring water
- Bowmore 18: sourness
- Auchentoshan Classic: v. sweet nose, artificial candy, floral (?) palate
- Auchentoshan Triple Wood: richer; leaves sweet[ness of the Classic expression] behind; plastic?
- Aberfeldy 12: v. nice
- Aberfeldy 21: spirity, smooth, not at all too old
- Provenance Inchgower 12: excellent!
- Classic Cask Aberlour 12: No.
- Classic Cask Highland Park 12: sweet nose; this is Scotch!
- Classic Cask 35 yo blend: meh
- SMWS Auchentoshan: v. pleasant
- SMWS Jura 21: savory
- SMWS Glen Elgin: burnt fireworks
- SMWS Campbeltown: touch of sulfur
- SMWS Ardbeg: All peaks, no valleys
- Glenmorangie Original: nothing
- Glenmorangie Lasagna [Lasanta]: Nothing. Can't possibly be "Lasagna."
- Highland Park 15: nothing
- Highland Park 18: nice
- Knappogue Castle 12 yo: Savory, but tonight is Scotch
- Dalwhinnie 15: pretty good